Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Pupils are able to explore and create. Pupils design and make products that are relevant to the world of work. Pupils work within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values, they acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art.
The subject involves the knowledge of core skills in English/Maths in the written work and in addition design calculation.
Design and Technology:
- Develops the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Builds and applies a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
- Creates the ability to critique, evaluate and test pupil ideas and products and the work of others.
- Develops skills and confidence that will impact young people’s lives, to enable them to continue a successful journey to their higher education setting.
Through a variety of creative and practical activities, pupils are taught the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in an interactive process of design.
Pupils work in a range of
- Domestic and local contexts (the home, health, leisure and culture)
- Industrial contexts (engineering, manufacturing, construction, energy, agriculture including horticulture and fashion).
Pupils develop experience and emotional wellbeing in this process and gaining confidence to take on tasks and try new things.
Learning new tasks and following instructions for safety will enhance their confidence and same time focusing on proficiency, increased autonomy, leading to excellence, and creating accomplished projects/products.
Long-term plans include Mini Christmas Fair to sell products made and grow fruits and vegetables in a field fork project by pupils. The aspiration is to develop a mini market online to be able to sell all range products made/grow by the pupils.
DT is about providing opportunities for pupils to develop their capability, combining their designing and making skills with knowledge and understanding in order to create quality products.
To be able to develop the skills necessary in order to progress in the world of work.